Choose the Best Gas Dryer for Faster Drying and Lower Operating Costs
If you’re in the market for a new clothes dryer, going with a gas dryer offers some appealing benefits over electric models. Gas dryers heat up faster and reach higher temperatures that dry your clothes more quickly and efficiently. This also makes gas dryers more energy and cost effective in the long run. They are a great option for larger households with lots of laundry to dry.
In this article, I’ll highlight top-rated gas dryer models on the market and key features to look for. You’ll also find useful buying considerations to help select the ideal gas dryer to meet your household needs. I’ll answer common gas dryer FAQs, covering topics like installation, venting, operating costs, and safety. And I’ll provide maintenance tips to keep your gas dryer running smoothly for years. Let’s dive in!
Best Gas Dryers on the Market
Gas dryers come in both top load and front load configurations. Here are some of the top rated models in each design:
Maytag Maxima Front Load Gas Dryer
- Large 4.4 cu.ft. drum for big loads
- Sleek, stylish design and interface
- Advanced moisture sensors for optimized drying
- Wrinkle prevent setting with steam refresh option
- 120+ cycle customizations available
- 10 year limited warranty
- Around $1,100 retail price point
LG WT7300CW Top Load Gas Dryer
- Huge 7.4 cu.ft. mega-capacity drum
- TurboSteam cycle for deep cleaning and sanitization
- Easy custom cycle programming
- LG SmartThinQ app connectivity
- Side swing reversible glass door
- Moisture sensor drying system
- $999 typical retail price
GE GTD42EASJWW Top Load Gas Dryer
- 7.2 cu. ft. extra large drum capacity
- Built-in WiFi for smart monitoring and notifications
- Quick Dry cycle selection
- HE Sensor for precision drying
- Up to 120 venting options for flexible installation
- Model # GTD42EASJWW
- MSRP of $749 with promotions bringing price down
Whirlpool WGD95HEFW Gas Dryer
- Large 7 cu. ft. drum capacity
- Heat Pump technology for efficient moisture removal
- Sanitize cycle eliminates bacteria and allergens
- Advanced temperature and moisture sensing
- Quiet operation suitable for bedroom installation
- Est. $1,300 retail price point
Key Gas Dryer Buying Considerations
Beyond brand name and budget, keep these factors in mind when selecting the ideal gas dryer for your needs:
- Drum size based on average laundry loads and household size
- Top load or front load design – each has pros and cons
- Extra cycles like steam sanitize, wrinkle release, allergen, etc.
- Vented or ventless operation – ventless condenses moisture for indoor air exhaust
- Advanced moisture sensors for optimized drying time
- Stainless steel or other drum materials to prevent rust
- Noise ratings – front load tend to be much quieter
- Smart home connectivity like WiFi control, status notifications
- Brand reputation and warranties for longevity and support
- Energy efficiency ratings to help estimate utility costs
- Price and budget – front load costs more than similarly sized top load
Taking the time to think through your specific laundry needs, household size, installation considerations and budget will ensure you select the perfect gas dryer. Don’t just default to the same brand as your washer or other kitchen appliances. Do some research to get the combination of performance, efficiency, features and capacity that best suits your family.
Gas Dryer FAQs
Let’s review some commonly asked questions when shopping for a new gas dryer:
What type of gas line and venting does installation require?
Most models need a rigid gas line, not flexible connector hoses. Proper ventilation to the outside is critical. Longer runs may require booster fans. Getting professional installation is advisable.
How do operating costs compare between gas and electric dryers?
Gas dryers can cost 50-70% less to run monthly for energy costs. However, gas service installation may add fees upfront. Look at long term usage to calculate total costs.
Are gas dryers safe? What precautions should be taken?
Modern safety features prevent gas leaks and buildup. Adhere to manufacturer instructions. Clean the lint filter before every load to reduce fire risks. Hire professionals for installation and repairs.
Is there really a noticeable difference in drying time?
Yes, gas dryers provide much faster drying thanks to generating heat more quickly and reaching hotter temps than electric. Clothes typically dry 20-60% faster in a gas dryer.
What features help handle large or bulky items?
Look for dryers with larger drum capacities, moisture sensors, and cycles designed for big loads. Top load models often accommodate bulky items better than front load.
Are steam cycles useful or just a gimmick?
Steam cycles genuinely help reduce wrinkles and odors in fabrics. They inject moisture to refresh clothing and make ironing easier. Models with steam options are worth considering.
How can lint buildup and venting issues be prevented?
Always clean the lint filter after each load. Periodically remove and wash the filter to prevent residue buildup. Have ductwork professionally cleaned every 2-3 years as well.
Can smart gas dryers diagnose problems and alert owners?
Many new WiFi connected models provide troubleshooting help for error codes, notify when maintenance is due, and can remind you when a cycle finishes. These self-diagnostics are handy.
Gas Dryer Maintenance Tips
To keep your gas dryer operating safely and efficiently for years to come, be sure to:
- Clean the lint filter and check vent hoses before every load
- Periodically wipe down the drum, gaskets, and interior with vinegar water
- Inspect hoses and fittings annually for wear – replace rubber hoses every 5 years
- Vacuum airflow sensors and compartments to remove lingering lint
- Confirm dryer remains properly leveled and stabilize if shaking or rocking
- Replace belts, pulleys, rollers and other parts at first signs of wear
- Run occasional empty “air fluff” cycle to clear any moisture buildup
- Have professionals deep clean ductwork every few years
With proper care and maintenance, a quality gas dryer should provide lower energy bills and faster drying performance for over a decade. Be diligent about cleaning lint and debris, and replace common wear parts as needed. Taking care of your investment upfront extends its useful life.
The Ideal Gas Dryer Awaits!
I hope this overview provides a great starting point to select the perfect gas clothes dryer for your home. Take time to consider capacity needs, installation requirements, operating costs, and features. Do some comparison shopping across top brands to get the ideal balance of efficiency, performance, durability and budget for your household. And be sure to maintain your new gas dryer properly over the years. Follow these tips and you’ll enjoy fast, economic drying performance and longevity from your major appliance investment.